Download from itch.io

Thursday, February 14, 2019

Wind Carrier

Wind Carrier is the first game being created by Clouds of Glass Games. It is an adventure RPG centered on the continent of Goldrath. The player, the titular Wind Carrier, directs their small civilization from a simple camp to a continent spanning empire throughout the course of the game. They will encounter a tentative eight different opposing civilizations that they can either help advance or destroy. The entire game world will bend to the player's choices, though the player must be aware that they are a director, not a god - most choice, intentional or not, will have unforeseen consequences for the player in the coming ages.

As the player advances in the game, they will learn different rituals to perform which will aid them, a couple of which will allow them to advance further in time or revert back, seeing the fruits of their labors play out for them in the coming ages. Remember, the only choice that can be undone is inaction.

Ultimately, my team and I are looking to found a game development studio to produce quality, anthro-centric video games.


---


A bit about me:

My name is Lucas Cady, as I'm sure you can see on the side bar up there somewhere. My experiences in storytelling and game systems run deep. I started young, DMing for my group of friends and acquaintances (3.5, D&D, for those that care.) I was never given a respite from doing so, never once was I allowed to actually play within the system, so I learned to love changing and warping it however I liked. It was almost like playing a character.

After high school, I took my love of storytelling and attempted to write a book. It did not end well. Failure to communicate between myself and my co-author at the time lead to it being rushed to production through some self publishing platform that I cannot recall the name of at the time of this writing. I did not write with him again.

I had given up on anything related to that, life took me hither and thither, meeting my wife and being whisked away to the ancient, magical land of Finland before I knew what was happening.

I thought my love for the craft was dead, but about a year and a half ago, amidst some turmoil, I found that spark once more. I began writing a new series of books (which may or may not ever get finished :p) centered in the land of Xeren, a land filled with only anthros. Through the course of writing this I developed a character that I loved very dearly, and a land from whence he/she once held inconceivable power - Goldrath.

Our story here, will begin several hundred years before the happenings within the series. From him/her the idea formed, the basis for the entire story for Wind Carrier. And, no, I'm not revealing who it is.

Before Project Wind Carrier, I had not once touched a 3D development tool, but that has, of course, changed.

Currently, I have been doing the lion's share of the work: modeling, animating, texturing, coding, world building; and as such I have quickly gained a moderate understanding of all of these fields. Most of the good, unique ideas come from my wife, however. :p

---

Wind Carrier Now:

We are developing using Unreal Engine 4. All of the 3D models are being created using Blender, though we have plans to upgrade to Maya as soon as the funds for the studio become available. All textures and the like are made using Krita.

Our technical build is still Alpha 0.1.5, all of the main systems within the game are complete and are being expanded with more content everyday. These systems include: an inventory, a influence system through which the player affects the world, a combat system, a magic system based on cards a la Lost Kingdoms, a civilization building system, a simple crafting system, the aforementioned age system, and a questing system.


---

Wind Carrier Then:

Currently we are working on polishing the content that we have along with adding more. Every system is in place, as I mentioned, it is simply filling the world up and then releasing. This, however, will likely take a long while at my current pace as I am still the main work-horse for Wind Carrier. Along side me are: my wife who does whatever she can whenever she can and our playtester Chris.

The second and third ages, while technically being there, are also completely empty. They, while important, are not what we are focusing on as of now. The intention is to probably release Age 1 (the Leonen Age) in early access once it is complete and then release the next two ages as free content to those that have purchased in early access.

---

I update this blog every Wednesday and we have new builds, which I post links for, once a month. The newest build can always be found at the top of the header.

I really need to take more random screen shots while I test stuff. Alas.






Have the new itch.io icon! Credits to my wife, of course.


-Lucas Cady
Project Director


Note: I decided to write this after my wife noted that the previous featured post was almost two years old and really not that relevant anymore.

No comments:

Post a Comment