Sunday, September 1, 2024

A Storm Unsung #2

 Hello all!


Since this is a development blog, I figured this next post, with a very creative name, would go over some in-development screenshots that have been taken and I could talk a bit about them and whatnot. I'm still not sure what I'm going to be talking about here, so, bear with me. 




This is the very first screenshot I could find of ASU. It was a bit of a teaser, I believe, for my wife. Because I was talking about showing off the bush there in the front, which some of you may or may not recognize as one that was used in Wind Carrier, but as the eagle-eyed among you can see, there is our first character there, Whispering Willow, hiding out in the grasses that would end up making up the Into the Rushes event in the Putrid Plains.




Next up, we have the very first iteration of our dungeon system. Well, you know what I mean. Originally, there were going to be objects blocking each ending of a tile, denoted by the garishly colored rocks there, but I opted for leaving them open ended and added a bit of a rounding to the edges instead. I believe it's good for looking out over the horizon. But, yeah.

For those of you who don't know, ASU uses dungeon tiles, basically large mini-sections of an area and weaves them together randomly to create unique dungeon experiences each time you go through a run. 




These screenshots are raw, as I'm sure you can see. But, this is the first screenshot of the dungeon system working with actual tiles. I think this also incorporates the cap tiles as well, which are like normal tiles, but only have one entrance to the tile, instead of four, and they end up as the 'caps' of certain other tiles. Not all tiles exits will have caps, but, yeah, more variety, I believe, was the idea that I was going for with that one. 

Variety is the name of the game in ASU, with each dungeon having unique: enemies, traps, events, and tiles. I'm a sucker for variety in my games, and that's why ASU has so much of it. 



Here we've got Tabitha the Phoenix fighting an in-progress Overgrown Sentinel. The Sentinel is the first boss that you'll encounter in ASU, not necessarily the first in any given run, but he was an important step. Especially since I can't just make things that deal damage, they have to do other things to keep it interesting. 

For example, the Overgrown Sentinel deals large amounts of damage with that breath attack there, but also summons permanent traps along the path that the breath takes. 

But, yeah, you can see the in-progress UI there as well, along with a name above Tabitha's head. There was a moment in time when I was considering making ASU multiplayer, but I ultimately decided against it, thus the names were removed. 



This is the first pass of the character changing widget from the inn. The format has remained, essentially, unchanged, but the proportions and the general in-progressness of it have been improved. 



For frame of reference, this is the current widget. Now that I look at it, I may want to make it larger to hide the other character names there in the back so it's less distracting. Anywho!



And here we've got the first iteration of the inn! Which also is largely unchanged. Got Tabitha there as the innkeeper, not that she'd make a good one. But, it stayed this way for a very long time. It wasn't until relatively recently that the innkeeper became her own character and the inn itself was populated a bit. 



And there it is as of now. Still not thrilling, but I feel like it looks a bit better. Y'know, I feel like I could stand to add more decorations, probably in general, to all of ASU. I'm going to write that down: 'Decoration Pass.' Something that I need to do once we're getting closer to full release, I think. 

In any case, that's all I have to share today, so I hope you enjoyed our little trip down memory lane. Next week, I'll probably be talking about upcoming things, like the next level that will be released, the Blistering Beach. 

Until next time,


-Lucas

Project Director






No comments:

Post a Comment